Welcome to my blog. After 22 years in Texas and 3 in Washington DC, I now find myself in Oxford, England for Graduate School. In between alot of hard work, I am having some amazing adventures and "learning experiences" this year that I wanted to share.

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Archived Email: December 2005

I did it! I survived my first term at oxford!

As brutal as the exams were, there have been some memorable and distinctly British moments the past couple of weeks.

I went to my first rugby game Cambridge vs. Oxford. It as big for them as TEXAS – ou weekend is for us. Rugby is bit confusing – you can only throw the ball backwards – and very violent - 4 people carried off on stretchers.

I had Christmas dinner at my college and had my first minced meat pie. Which was explained to me that you must eat with your hands (no fork) and interestingly, there is no meat in it.

The exam taking system is quite regimented. First, you “sit for your exams” not take exams. And to sit for an exam you must go to the Examination school. It is an integrity issue that all exams must be administered by independent proctors, not your professor. To be allowed in the Examination School (with is a beautifully old large oxford building right in the centre of town) you must be dressed in our black gowns with white shirts (and neck ties (you may remember the pictures earlier in the year). Quite different from the flip flops I wore to take exams at UT!

Im going to Bath today with my housemate who went to the University there for undergrad. It’s supposed to be just beautiful – so hopefully I will have pictures to send after Christmas.

Most importantly, our Christmas plans have changed a bit. My family is postponing the river cruise to France – which means I will be in Texas for Christmas (I get in on Friday)! Let me know if you are in the Dallas area (email me if you don’t have my parents home phone number already so you can reach me).

Hope you all have a wonderful holiday and enjoy your time with friends and family. Hope to hear from you all soon!

Cheers,
Christina

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home