Welcome to my blog. After 22 years in Texas and 3 in Washington DC, I now find myself in Oxford, England for Graduate School. In between alot of hard work, I am having some amazing adventures and "learning experiences" this year that I wanted to share.

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Archived Email: March 2006

Hey-eh (that’s how they say it in Stockholm)

Happy March! I cannot believe how fast this term is going! We have exams in just 3 weeks. And I have 4 major term papers due in the same time. I’ve been pretty busy since the last update. Ive been to Stockholm, a Venetian Masquerade ball and I have had two lovely dinners in London with friends (Steve S. and co, and Greg W.) in from Texas – its always nice to see a see a friendly Texas face and hear a “y’all” from time to time. And yes going to class and studying LOTS too.

Stockholm last weekend was cold – but very sunny. Travelling with 18 of your closest friends is always a fun adventure. Lots of laughs on this trip – and I thoroughly enjoyed the well needed – 2day break from studies. They always talk about the light in Stockholm (how it reflects of the snow and water) and it really is amazing. We toured the royal palaces including the place with Queen Christina lived! We walked around the Gamla Stan (the old city) and saw a Viking ship that was excavated in the 1950’s after 300 years underwater! It was a charming city and it was wonderful to learn more about my Swedish heritage.

I went this morning to the Torpids race – which is an annual rowing race down the Isis river. Teams from the different college race each other in this epic battle for bragging rights. Rowing is a big deal sport over here. After the races everyone heads to the boat houses for bacon sandwiches. An odd little tradition.

“They” say March is the most challenging month of the course (I didn’t know it could get more challenging!). The snow is pretty when it falls, and but has not been sticking – which is good for us bikers! But the good news is that then I get 3 weeks off after exams, and then come back for our 3rd and final term. Trinity term should be the best b/c it is all electives I am really interested in. Now all I have to do is figure out what I want to be when I grow up! I am openly soliciting career advice from any/everyone – so please send me your thoughts.

***I will be in New York March 31-April 2 for an Oxford Alumni networking event and hopefully some interviews. Then I plan to pop down to DC for a few days April 3-6 to see friends.*** Then I return to Europe for some city hopping for 2 weeks – locations TBD. Let me know if you want to meet me somewhere exotic!

Hope to hear from you all soon!

Cheers,
Christina

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home