Welcome to my blog. After 22 years in Texas and 3 in Washington DC, I now find myself in Oxford, England for Graduate School. In between alot of hard work, I am having some amazing adventures and "learning experiences" this year that I wanted to share.

Monday, March 13, 2006

Archived Email: October Matriculation 2005

Howdy yall!
First, thanks to so many of you who have called and emailed me this week! It has been a whirlwind. My classes are all incredibly hard but incredibly interesting. I have some really good professors who, amazingly enough, keep us relatively entertained for the entire 3.5 hour period (that’s how long each of my classes are!). I may start having my mail forwarded to the business school – because I feel like I live there.

So the biggest event this week was Matriculation, which was today. This is a right of passage type program. Similar to a graduation ceremony, but schools like Oxford and Cambridge have these at the beginning of the term to officially induct you into the University. Up until about 100 years ago, students would have to take an exam in Latin during this ceremony to prove the University had selected quality students – thank goodness that is no longer a tradition!
It’s a lot of pomp, but you will see the funny outfits we all have to wear. We parade through town with your college and all the tourists took pictures of us. The theater where the matriculation happens is beautiful and right in the heart of Oxford. Following the ceremony we took a group picture and had a tasty lunch at Kellogg College. Anyway, enjoy the pics!

Hope you all have a nice weekend!
Miss you,
Christina

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home